View Single Post
Old 2012-06-22, 21:53   Link #2068
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
1 year vs 2 years is missing the real argument I think.

There are several different arguments in favor of:

Nova = never been in ISML before
Stella = been in ISML before

(Notice that this is not the same as Nova = 1 year old series, which I think is very important point.)

1: The first argument, and the one I'm thinking more and more is a key problem, are characters like Shinobu, the Fire Sisters, and Hecate. These are characters who were secondary characters in an older season of a show, and then when they get a season that focuses on them they get enough nominations to get into ISML... they end up facing all the Stella characters?

How is that fair? I think Shinobu would be having a much better year if she was over in Nova. Characters that are new to ISML are the ones that need their own division, and a time to develop their own ISML fanbase.

Now granted Nova will be mostly brand new characters, but shouldn't secondary characters from an old series that got a big boost from a spinoff or second season also be allowed a time to shine in Nova?

I can even identify a few characters that this could happen too: Uiharu from Railgun (because you know there is going to be another Railgun, and Uiharu never really got her own arc like Saten); Kongou Mitsuko also from Railgun, who has a much bigger role in the manga, which might get her more screen time in a later season; several girls from The World God Only Knows who turn out to be reoccurring characters instead of one arc girls (this assumes a 3rd season, which granted is not the most likely, but the anime did break even, so you never know for sure).

I think it makes more sense for these types of characters to be in Nova.

2: The argument that being a second year gives an advantage in Nova. An advantage that could either stunt the growth of a fanbase first year girls (under one theory), or result in second years always dominating (under another theory). Both make Nova less interesting.

3: It means really strong first year girls like Kanade and Ruri are trapped in Nova for two years instead of getting to go on to Stella. If their series does not get another season, they might never get to be in Stella at their peak level. Plus we miss out on a more interesting Stella division.

4: Finally, what was the main reason for dividing into Nova and Stella anyway? The point that I remember was to make sure there were new faces in ISML. A way to increase the variety instead of seeing the same faces.

Well if Nova is restricted to characters that have never been in ISML, then there will always be 32 new characters every year in ISML.

Under the current method there will always be less new characters in ISML, because there will always be some girls in Nova who are in their second year. If variety is the true goal, then Nova = new to ISML is the way to go.

It also will eventually result in a Stella that is a "the best of ISML" division instead of "girls from old series" division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Okay, let say you remove all returning girls from Nova. That means 13 new slots. Then using prelim results and I'll fill in those 13 slots...
1 & 2 - Mami & Madoka (Madoka)
3 & 4 - Shirayuki & Reki (Aria)
5. Tomoka (RKB)
6. Ika-chan (Ika Musume)
7. Alice (Kamimemo)
8. Misaki (Kaichou wa Maid-sama)
9. Tsugumi
10. Shinobu (She would qualified for Nova if using the "Never been here" criteria)
11-13 = Mayuri? Kirika (C3)? Ayumi (Kaminomi)? Dalian? Haruka (Amagami)? Ohana (Hanasaku)?

The only difference I really see is even more Madoka girls and even more Aria girls. #5-#7 are actually way up top on my personal list (aka personal bias).

The thing is, yes, I would rather see Mami, Tomoka, Ika-chan, and Alice getting in (Instead of...cough, Iwasawa who has been hated ever since last year and Sora), but it's a fact that they didn't generate enough excitement to get out of prelim in the first place.
I might point out that the nominations would have had different outcomes too. We'd probably see the Fire Sisters in the mix as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It would be better if it was just the previous year, period. That would give a true newcomer a chance to be the star of her division, which in my mind is a lot more helpful than this odd idea of somehow gaining "worth" by getting to be the latest curbstomp victim of an Angel Beats! girl.

In my experience, there's three things that can shift power levels (and hence "worth") in ISML:

1) Building up fame/notoriety through winning a lot.
2) Having a currently airing anime featuring that character in question.
3) Not having been featured in an anime in a looong time (hence gradually weakening over time).

Letting a new girl dominate a division could cause 1 for her - Getting curbsomped by Kanade won't. 2 and 3 will have their impacts regardless of division setup.
I would point out that it's also hard on a character like Shinobu or the Fire Sisters, when they have to go up against strongly established ISML characters in Stella instead of getting a chance to grow in Nova.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?