View Single Post
Old 2012-09-15, 17:32   Link #56
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
As for inertia....well it'd be more worthwhile to see what actually causes it.

Come to think of it, hasn't it been explained away by Mach's Principle?
You don't need to go that far. Inertia, in the every day sense, is simply your mass, or momentum, depending on the problem you want to solve. That is what "causes" inertia.

Now if you want to know what causes mass well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
I found one of his experiments. What do you guys think?
It's a hoax. It makes very little sense.

Also, depositing those carbon layers is not particularly amazing. Look at the electrodes inside your car battery sometime.

Also, it's completely unreproducible, because they neglect to say what they're mysterious liquid is.

As for the reading on the multimeter, that's ridiculously easy to fake. Even I could rewire a multimeter to fake it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I acknowledge that we are just arguing over semantics here. I suppose you understood what I tried to say. Btw. only forces that actually interact with masses can accelerate masses. Hence my distinction. Take the gravitational force that is only supposed to interact with the mass of traveller in the spaceship but not the spaceship itself (I know its hypothetical, but its important to make the whole thing work).
How can gravity effect the traveller, and not the ship? If any object has mass (as the spaceship would have) it is affected by gravity, in proportion to it's mass. Both would accelerate at the same rate.

Also, there aren't any forces that don't interact with mass. Because Force=Mass X Acceleration, it doesn't really work when there's no mass there.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote