View Single Post
Old 2006-12-06, 07:53   Link #7
katsumi
ghostly member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post

Another thought of possible alternate history is based on the name of the Empire. Britannia is the name used for Great Britain by the Roman Empire. It is possible that after the fall of the Roman Empire, Britannia maintained its civilization and became the core of a new empire that carried on the traditions of the old Roman Empire. Thus the Holy Britannia Empire succeeded the Holy Roman Empire.
I don't think this possibility would work out. At times of the Roman Empire there wasn't yet a thinking of "Britannians" as a nation (the idea of "nation" is still young), but rather different people (tribes?), one of them Britons. It would make more sense if the history of the CG world would have been the same as ours up until the American Revolution - seemingly failing in the CG world.
Perhaps history even was slightly the same throughout the 19th century, as it was the century were the Britains gathered their biggest strength and build up the British Empire to its greatest extend.

My speculation is that World War I & II didn't happen, or at least not in the way they happened in our world. If the Empereror hadn't mentioned the European States and, if I remember the subs correctly, the weakness of the European Union, I would have guessed there were no WW I and II at all.

Oh boy, that's confusing to write "our world"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordnance11 View Post
Well, based on the map shown when Britannia invaded Japan, they definitely hold the North American continent and Hawaii. Australia and New Zealand and possibly South Africa and India. The British Empire of this world at it's height plus, North America. The turning point would had been if the American War of Independence failed.

Now what I want to know is if the Plantagenet line survived to this present day. 1000 years under a single family. Given that the Plantagenet line were prone to fighting each other as well as against foreign enemies, I can well believe why the current Emperor is this way.
If you take the American War of Independence as turning point for the CG world, there's no way the Empereror's line could still be the Plantagenet line. As far as I know the legitimate Plantagenet line became extinct by the 16th century during the reign of the Tudors. Although I'm not too sure about it, I'll have to check my history books.
And I guess a family prone to fighting each other wouldn't survive 1000 years, they'll get themselves extinct pretty fast
katsumi is offline   Reply With Quote