View Single Post
Old 2007-09-14, 16:01   Link #61
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Passed my first driver's test, passed my first motorcycle test. I'd say that the driving one was worse. In our area, it was well-known that there was a certain instructor who would, more likely than not, pass you (he was called "passing Pete"), and that there was one (termed the "angry black lady") who would fail you 99% of the time if it was your first time taking the test. Lucky for me, I believe Pete was my instructor that day!

First and foremost, practice to be a good driver. But if the odds are against you, take matters into your own hands. When and where your test is scheduled can make a huge difference. I was lucky: for my driver's test, even though it was in an urban region, it was right after lunch. There wasn't a single car on the road, and when it came time to parallel park, there was no true parallel parking spot available - I had to simulate parallel parking behind a single car. That was what I was most stressed about, so it saved me quite a bit.

Often, going out to a more rural test center will boost your odds of passing. But don't just get passed because you were smart about where to take the test, pass because you know how to drive. My first roommate failed his driving test because when he was going in reverse, he just looked in his rear-view mirrors - he never actually turned to look behind him. I didn't say anything, but he deserved to fail for that. Don't be a hazard on the road.