Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-08-07, 18:36   Link #3814
night_sentinel

Yeah, the "???" tournament is called the spring or whatever tournament in the manga. I call it winter because that's how the other Japanese sports manga depict it. Usually after Interhigh, there is another tournament in the same year. This one on the other hand brings a change in the lineup since Seniors can't enter due to their impending graduation. Which makes me worried for Kiyosumi since they're losing one member but I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eavein18 View Post

"Shiraitodai played with a different order in the spring tournament, so Toki didn't get to play against Miyanaga."

(sorry if it didn't help...)

This is very helpful. This confirmed that Teru is not in the vanguard position for the Spring/Winter tournament. Ok good so far. But, I'm interested in the sentence construction. "Shiraitodai has a different order in the spring tournament, so Toki didn't get to play against Miyanaga."

It was as if Senriyama is expecting Teru to be in the vanguard position, and implies this is usual for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emballage View Post
Awai was generally implied to have not played in the spring tournament.

For Seiko (and Takami) there's a more explicit answer. In Achiga ch. 15 pg. 42 FunaQ says "Matano, just like Shibuya Takami, is a regular for the first time this year. There aren't many records of her." However, in Achiga ep. 14, in the equivalent scene FunaQ says "Matano only became a regular last year, so there aren't many records of her games.", and I can't tell whose translations are more accurate.

EDIT: I just realised I have the relevant manga chapter with me, and it says "亦野も渋谷尭深と同じで 今年からのレギュラー... 牌譜のサンプルが少ない...", which corresponds to the English manga translation. In ch. 14 pg. 35, it also says the same about Takami ("渋谷尭深は今年からのレギュラー".../"But Shibuya Takami only joined the line-up this year"...). On the other hand, I couldn't find a reference as to whether the two of them made first team before or after the supposed spring tournament.

Ok, this probably meant that Matano and Takami only joined in this tournament along with Awai. Everything so far checks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragment off View Post
It is said in Achiga hen in the chapter of the SF vice captain That in Spring tournament Teru got a view of the Shindouji ace and they were still using their old line up so she was still vanguard because I asume they were playing agisnt each other. ( I also got the imprssioin that Winter and srping tournament are the same but I'm unsure)
And if I remember right It is said That Teru was Captain before Awai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy-Magician View Post
Kokaji-pro said Teru become Vanguard for this year's Interhigh only...
remember that while Mairu explicitly said she was Vanguard because Shindouji used to follow standard put your strongest first, it's never said what is Tsuruhime's old position.
Teru didn't have to use her mirror on Mairu to find out. most likely it's Himeko she used it on. Although the way Mairu said it make it sounds like she was defeated badly in last Spring tournament by Teru (although Shiraitodai's old Vanguard is maybe a better player than her) to the point Shindouji decide to throw away Vanguard's match.

Ok. I tracked it down and seen the original quote by Kokaji-pro in the anime. Its really odd. To those who can understand Nihonggo better than us, can you kindly look at it for us? Its at episode 10, 9:30 minute mark in my pc.

Here is the quote in italics.

"Miyanaga-san only become the the first player after this year's Interhigh preliminaries."

.... Okay this is blatantly wrong. That meant Shiraitodai changed position after the prefecture round which is impossible. No one has changed position between the prefecture tournament and the interhigh. I have a feeling its fixed. It also meant that Teru is not in the vanguard position for the current prefecture interhigh which is patently untrue. We saw her in the vanguard position in the original anime.

Now let's continue dissecting the quote:

"The only first player's match at West Tokyo preliminaries that ended with a player running out of points was in this formation."

So far so good, Teru broke the record in the West Tokyo preliminaries by being the first person in the prefecture to put her opponent below zero in the first round. Well, this synced with what we know of Teru. Next quote:

"Shiraitodai High School decided to make Miyanaga Teru their first player after she showed her strength as the last dealer."

Ok also true.

The problem is the first part which conveniently also has the timeline in its sentence. Ugh. I have a hard time believing that. Have a feeling it has a problem with the syntax or translation or something. Anyway, I think its more like this. Teru entered tournament first year. She was in a random position. Then, Shiraitodai realized how ridiculous she is and put her in the vanguard after the tournament. Guys, remember that it is the vanguard whidh is the regular ace position not the captain. Thus, second year onwards Teru is in the vanguard position except in last years spring tournament. I think this fit with all the facts everything considered.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote