Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-20, 13:51   Link #22589
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Mangamuscle, you keep saying the perp was suicidal -- there's actually no evidence he was. The neuroscience majoring student appears to want to be around to watch the results of his cowardice.

My condolences to anyone who knew any of the people hurt or killed by this little cesspool of evil. (Most of the damage appears to have been from a shotgun, with only one AR-15 round blamed for one injury, and some from the Glock pistol). Of course, given the way he got into the theater, he could just as easily have lobbed two or three jacked up molotovs and done even more damage.

However, I am actively wondering about his mental background for this reason:

(snippet from Raw Story article, author's words):
Quote:
But a big question that arises is—did he have a documented history of mental illness? Good chance of it. If he did—should he have been allowed to own guns? Especially, as reported, a version of the AK-47–which he used in the theater? I can answer that last question.
The answer, as far as I’m concerned, is flatly… no.
The NRA, of course, resists the “intrusiveness” of firm, clear rules exposing a person’s psychological problems to the vetting process for gun ownership.
This is why I dropped my NRA membership in the early 90s... they have become a catalyst for this kind of mayhem by refusing to consider *any* responsible protocols for gun ownership (like mental disease, integrated background checks, etc). To me, "well regulated militia" in the US means there should be mandatory Civil Defense participation and practice for anyone who owns a gun.