View Single Post
Old 2012-05-08, 14:10   Link #641
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
If you're going to buy something to keep in Blu-Ray format at these prices, it has to be something that you think you'd want to re-watch.
Eh, I've bought anime on R2s and I haven't rewatched one of the series I bought. There are different reasons why people buy anime on physical media, but the most prevalent I've heard from Japanese sources is that Japanese wish for a token of participation, a memorandum of the fun times they had. Obviously some people want to rewatch it, some people just like to support types of things they love.

I once theorized that every show has its audience, whether it be boring or ironic or poorly executed. But the way fans react en masse, for example preordering a show like Hyouka after the first few episodes, is just ridiculous. If the show cannot show its worth, because it hasn't even finished airing, what are the criteria these shows get preordered by fans? I'm genuinely interested in this. Looking over KyoAni's shows alone, Munto TV had a very nice story, but the animation in the first few episodes botched the whole experience. I am not too familiar with Nichijou to know why it wasn't such a big hit in the traditional Blu-ray sales sense--certainly, animation alone isn't the sole reason for sales successes, but it's a very influential one. To think back of all the moe moe shows from 00's, most of them struggled with tight budgets. And yes, everybody likes nice looking animation, but not on a boring show. Or maybe they do.

EDIT: I realize this looks like I'm giving stalker points too much credit, who knows what actual sales will be.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote