View Single Post
Old 2013-04-02, 10:03   Link #469
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
You're the one who is drawing me to that conclusion. If a character has screen time, then they could very easily use that time to develop. Just because their time isn't being used properly, that doesn't make it the fault of the character that is properly developed.

What I want is NanoFate development. I want that ever so subtle change at the end of the movie where Fate holds Nanohas hand for the very first time. And I want to feel like the events which eventually lead up to that scene were executed properly.
Ah, the real truth. Before, you were just about Fate and said you didn't care about NanoFate so much. But we see this isn't the case.

Quote:
I won't say they're undeserving of development, but not at the expense of the main characters. And Reinforce, Hayate and the Wolkenritter developed just fine.
Quite simple then.. we make Chrono and Lindy main characters! Then we give equal time to them to develop as well! Perfect, thanks! ...that's exactly what we were endeavoring to do with our movie ruminations.

Quote:
And here comes your circular logic. Because Fate has the most development she has the most scenes that should get cut, despite not having any more screen time (probably less) than the other main. I'm sorry, but every character who has an abundant amount of screen time to work with, whether it be to develop the character or otherwise...is all on the same boat. If you want more Nanoha development you cut her own battle scenes to make room for that development. If you want Fate to have more action scenes... You cut from her development. With that being said, it is not Fate's screen time that deters Nanoha from developing, it is how Tsuzuki is using Nanoha with the time she does have.
*sigh* Yes, you have somewhat of a point, in that it depends on how someone uses the screentime they have, but then again, not really. After Fate arrives, Nanoha only has a few scenes by herself. She exists now, purely for Fate.

But how do you take away action scenes from Chrono to develop him as a character? He has exactly one: joining the gang in beating up on Cthulu, where he casts exactly one spell. So, you want us to cut his 10-15 seconds of action time, if those people who like Chrono, want to see him get some development?

Can you really not see how this attitude is unfair?

By the way, what happened to you charting the screentime each character has? If you don't in the next few days, I just might. Because...

Quote:
Ahh, so terribly blown out of proportion. That essentially personifies why we can't ever agree with anything.
So, explain why it is, then. Don't just make the accusation and walk away. The problem is quantity. Let me pull some numbers to make a point. Let's say Fate has 1.5 hours of screen time, and Chrono has 10 minutes of screen time. And I want to take 10 minutes away from Fate to give 10 minutes to Chrono. Overly simplified, since Fate would also get some develoment out of that 10 minutes, but we're simplifying.

In this scenario, Fate loses only 11% of her screentime, but Chrono's screen time doubles. So, hardly equal. Sure, we could argue for equalityof screentime, but the funny thing is, we aren't even arguing for that. We're like Oliver, asking for a bit more gruel to get enough nutrition, and all we hear in response is the Chef accusingly and angrily saying, "MORE!?"

Quote:
If NanoFate scenes are fluff, then I'll be damned if the Hayate/Wolkenritter family scenes are not also fluff. And I'm pretty certain there are more of those than NanoFate scenes. You could cut equal time from all of the main characters. That would be a fair start. If you really so desperately need the Chrono/Lindy development.
Because their fluff is actual development. They need to show how the Wolks become family with Hayate. It is their movie, more than Nanoha or Fate. But I know you're not worried, because I'm willing to bet that, after this movie, you consider Hayate and the Wolks minor characters now. Somehow, the antagonist of the first movie becomes forever a main, but the antagonists of the second movie move into secondary status. Why is that?

I'm curious now, though... what do you think of shows that have a larger main cast that they focus on? I mean, Natsu and Lucy are technically the main characters of Fairy Tail, but Grey and Erza get development. Hell, even minor characters like Levy and MIrajane get development. Hell, even more minor characters like Evergreen gets development! But, according to you, a show can only have a couple of main characters, so obviously all those other shows are doing something wrong.

Quote:
Panty shots. Everywhere. Fate wore a thong for heavens sake. The only thing the movie has on the series as far as fan-service goes, are those two little specks they decided to add on each breast. The series trumps it everywhere else.

Spoiler for I'll just leave this here...:
I said few, not absent. Also not noticable. Most shows with panty shots make it extremely obvious. Nanoha's are more hidden eggs that are only there for a very short time, or have other things in the scene that people will usually focus on.

Quote:
With those two manga running it would be far too confusing trying to tie in the 4th season with the manga's. Not to mention Vivid and Force are so different in terms of execution that it's ridiculous. Nanoha was in need of a reboot.
I didn't think it was in need of a reboot. I thought it was fine as is. But they didn't need to do 2 manga series; they could have easily done a 4th season. Instead, we got once a month manga rather than a 4th season, and somehow, you want to believe that has nothing to do with popularity. If Nanoha were still profitable as an anime series, it would have had a 4th by now. Especially considering Nanoha started as an anime series, whereas most other anime series are based off manga, so can fall back on manga.

Quote:
I think to this day, you still underestimate how well these movies are doing. Some viewers may "bleed" but it's replaced by an equal number of new fans with similar interest. Nanoha isn't losing viewers, it never has lost viewers. Otherwise, the sales between movie 1st and A's wouldn't be so identical. And each anime season wouldn't have sold more dvd's than the season that came before it.
If it was so profitable... why did the series stop?