View Single Post
Old 2009-10-22, 22:15   Link #104
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I've been trying to get people to realise that Haki is something very fundamental and simple. It is the character's personality and mentality, it is not something supernatural, not some kind of powerup.

Your Ki is your mind, body and spirit. When you choose to dominate, you have Haki, it is your mentality, your will. Not some kind of special power that comes from a special rock or energy channeled from a parallel universe.

To have the will, mentality, the personality to dominate, to have the ambition, is Haki.
LOL, I understand Haki quite well, thank you very much . Haki is involved intrinsically in everything in the series, but that doesn't mean Haki is the answer for everything in the series. I don't understand this constant desire to make Haki even more important than it is. This was a growth moment for Luffy, in which he realizes that strength alone will not cut it, especially against his weakness. So, he runs, and keeps running. This is not a 'Haki' moment; it is simply Luffy using his brain, something many of us have remarked that Luffy does not do enough of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
I find it difficult to believe that this is merely a thinking moment for Luffy. Not when he was about to attack him.

If he had decided this before he initiated his attack, I could have agreed to an extent, like when he decided to not face him and run away instead. But, here he didn't do that. Instead, he stopped his attack after he started the attack. And why he imagined that scene, he could have imagined different things, like he was about to be cut in the middle of his body, instead of his arm, or even leg, why the arm? This is too specific to be considered as just the result of mere thinking process...
Except, as you say, he was already running away. Luffy knows what he has to do; he has to find a way to save Ace. Losing a limb will not help Luffy in the slightest. Consequently, Luffy is taking the safe route, choosing the battle he knows he can win, and running like hell from the battles he knows will destroy him or that do not matter to his desire of saving Ace. In this instance, Luffy goes against his warrior's instinct because he knows that is not what is important right now.

This was a character growth moment, not any specific power or ability moment.