View Single Post
Old 2012-01-12, 00:56   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Was considering upgrading my PC later this year...

I was starting to think, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade my PC sometime this year. My PC is two years old now. What do you think I should upgrade?

My specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (Quad core, 3.2 GHz)
Radeon HD 5750 1 GB
4 GB DDR 3 1600 RAM
750 GB HDD

I don't really need an upgrade, but by the end of the year, if might be a good idea. I wouldn't mind trying out graphical enhancement mods for Skyrim, either. This year, would it only be beneficial to upgrade my GPU? Should I go nVidia or ATI/AMD? I have a 700 watt PSU. It was a cheap in price one. If I upgrade my GPU to a pretty powerful one, should I go with a better quality PSU? Should I go higher than a 700 PSU?

Should I upgrade RAM? Most games are just now starting to take advantage of 4 GB, huh? So maybe not needed, but with the price of RAM these days, might as well? And about the CPU, should I just keep that CPU this year, or is there a 6-core or 8-core AMD CPU that I can upgrade to (compatible with my mobo) that would be worth the upgrade?

I'd like another internal HDD. Gotta wait for HDD prices to go back to normal, though, that is for sure.

What is the thing that I should upgrade the most? The GPU and possibly the PSU? If that is the only thing that could really use an upgrade, I might upgrade those sooner rather than later.