View Single Post
Old 2011-01-15, 21:22   Link #1031
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
While the overall grim mood and surreal atmosphere is very much appreciated (Kajiura's soundtrack deserves a lot of credit here for setting the tone), i have a much bigger bone to pick with Shaft's WTF visuals this time - to put it plainly, i found the "witch" jarring, off-putting and completely tension-breaking. While i can accept the argument that Shinbo's WTF visuals add a sense of surreality to the 'other world' (even if i wouldn't particularly agree with their usage at all, but that's nothing new), they simply took it too far with the "witch". What we got was a result that looked like the bastard child of Shinbo's visuals and an attempt at budget saving - a cardboard wannabe tentacle monster with half the framerate it should have had. At that point the music was the only thing holding the scene together, because it was awfully hard not to facepalm. Bleh.

If this is how confrontations with "witches" are going to look, i can only hope they will be kept to a bare minimum.
I pretty much agree. So far this show has been near perfection except the goddamn visuals in the fight scenes. Really if it weren't for Yuji Kajura's soundtrack, I would've smacked someone for that scene.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote