Thread: Licensed Rurouni Kenshin
View Single Post
Old 2004-03-27, 17:27   Link #34
Yujinbito

Yeah. The first time I saw Kenshin I thought it was alright, but kinda stupid. That's because I was watching the first season. I suggest that you watch the first few episodes just to get an idea of who the characters are and then skip ahead to DVD vol. 7, 'Shadow of the Wolf'. That's the Kyoto story arc which is some of the best anime ever. A fantastic mix of fighting and story and even a few interesting things to think about regarding violence and whether or not being wholly non-violent can be a valid solution to defending against fanatics and killers. My complaint with the first story arc - and I have to admit/stress that I didn't watch all of it - was that it was basically a fight of the week style, non-continuing story. I mean, of course the story 'goes forward' but as far as episodes relating directly to the events of previous episodes, the longest you're going to get is a story running for 2 or 3 episodes. The way I did it was the best, IMO.. I watched the first four episodes (although I'd recommend watching a little past that), Kyoto Arc, then watched the Trust & Betrayal OAVs. I certainly suggest watching them after the Kyoto Arc for best effect, even though they take place before (like Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me ). Other than that, I didn't watch past the Kyoto arc so I can't speak to that.. some people love the later episodes and some hate them. Same for the Reflection OAV. My understanding of Reflection is that it's just scenes from the TV series animated like the Trust & Betrayal OAVs, along with some scenes from the manga that weren't in the TV series and also an ending to the whole story that was made up by the OAV creators and has nothing to do with the original series. A lot of peoples' biggest complaint is that it could have been cool but there are only 2 episodes, so it feels like they're just showing off that the scenes look cool but not really making any story. As for the movie, it's just a cheap condensation of the themes in the Kyoto Arc if you ask me. My advice, since you seem to like fighting anime w/ story - based on the fact that you posted about Berserk earlier - is like I said, watch volumes 7-14 (or buy the second box set, 'Legend of Kyoto' if you wanna drop a lot of money on it.. not sure what your budget's like). Then watch the first OAV series (2 discs, 4 episodes). It's such a diverse series, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Yujinbito is offline   Reply With Quote