View Single Post
Old 2012-09-03, 18:51   Link #64
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

OK, I watched it. Vexx is right. He doesn't make any points that haven't been made hundreds of times before and discussed here and on other sites like ANN incessantly.

Let's start with his claim that fansubs remain the big problem. In fact, while there are still groups that sub shows that are also available on streaming sites like Crunchyroll, more and more of us watch legal streams. Do you think CR could afford to license some three-quarters of all new anime series if there weren't people paying monthly subscription fees and generating advertising revenues? I suggest you compare the number of series listed on the AS main page today compared to two or three years ago. See how many fewer series are now listed? That's because most series are now licensed for simulcasting by CR, and to a lesser extent Funimation and Sentai, and thus no longer qualify as unlicensed English-language fansubbed works. One other thing you should notice if you make the comparison I suggest is that the number of fansubbing groups has sharply declined.

Then there is the problem of people in the rest of the world who do not have the same access to legal streams as we here in North America do. He mentions that issue briefly then never returns to it again. Of course I'd prefer it if people subscribed to CR and Netflix and bought anime DVDs and BDs from places like TRSi and Amazon. Those options are not available to people in many other parts of the world because the Japanese producers haven't taken steps to make services like CR available or license their works for DVD and BD release in those countries. (There's also the broader problem of regionalization, staggered releases, and the like which apply across the board. Why isn't Hulu available outside the US? Because American television producers want to maintain their relationships with their local network partners in foreign countries. That's a very large discussion that I cannot go into here.)

Next there is the issue that Vexx mentions, the "they aren't making anime I like any more" problem. His reactions to Bandai closing up shop seems to have much more to do with shows like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star than with Haruhi or Lucky Star. We had a long and complex discussion of this subject only a few months' back. Perhaps you should read it.

I'll leave aside the subs/dubs argument. Most people here either prefer subs or don't care. If the future of the R1 anime industry depends on dubs, then it probably doesn't have a very bright future.

Next there is the fact that anime is made for the Japanese audience, not for people in other countries. If he wants to complain about the availability of the types of shows he finds appealing, he needs to ask whether those are the types of shows Japanese anime fans want to watch and, more importantly, purchase. Domestic sales of anime, the source material on which they are based like manga and light novels, and various associated paraphernalia like figurines and dakimakara account for the vast bulk of the revenues those companies earn. They aren't going to make shows that won't sell domestically even if they think there might be a market for them outside Japan. Having already been burned once by the collapse of the foreign anime market, Japanese producers are going to be very reluctant to make decisions based on how things might sell overseas.

Finally, there is the simple fact that anime isn't as popular in the West today as it was ten years ago. There was a bubble of interest stimulated by things like Toonami and [adult swim], but those days are largely over. Anime in the West is once again a very niche interest which makes it less profitable and less able to support a variety of distributors. There is also the simple fact that the players keep changing. He mentions ADV but fails to mention its successor Sentai. I don't see much discussion about new entrants like NISA either. Yes, Bandai has left the field, but if KyoAni released Haruhi today, do you really think none of the existing companies would license it? I don't.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote