Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-12, 13:19   Link #26395
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I don't trust a single assassination mission by ANY Western power to do anything other than harm and in an exceedingly bloody manner.

It's not like they'll poison them or send in an assassin's team with surgical tools. Most likely they'll use a drone and blow everything up or something similarly stupid.
"Blowing everything up" might just be the way forward. You can't just take out Kim, you have to also take out the senior military personnel as well. Their headquarters is likely large enough that collateral damage is minimal.

And besides, while you might hit a few unfortunate innocent civilians, in the long run by offing the regime millions will be saved.

However, the Anarchy that follows the collapse of the regime might see a lot more people die.

In the end, I don't think anything should be done without the say so of South Korea and China. You would need a very swift response, with all interested parties presenting a unified front.

To get China on side, I'd give them something like 30 year rights to many of the mineral resources in North Korea, and a very large demilitarized "buffer" zone that the new "unified Korea" can't post troops within, and the removal of all US military bases from the peninsula.

As for South Korea, I'd get the US, China and Japan to foot a suitable portion of the bill required for North Korea's transition to a stable state.

As for the North Korean people, they should get enough development aid such that they have a guaranteed food supply, guaranteed employment and a "decent" standard of living during a suitably long "transition period", during which time they'll also receive educational resources to help them integrate into the modern world, and un-indoctrinate them, perhaps with classes given by the North Koreans defectors (who they might more easily identify with).