View Single Post
Old 2006-08-28, 15:27   Link #302
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

While Genki is okay, our class uses Nakama (1), the college level book. For beginners, those in Japanese 1 or 2, its fine, but higher levels should begin to use more Kanji in their readings, and in their writing. I'm in Japanese 3, and although my Spanish is much better (and my Japanese comparable to a 4 year old kid), I offer to help with what I can in this lesson here.

But in my opinion, much more than rudimentary phrases, you can't learn anything from online sources. A proper way to learn is from a qualified teacher (preferably a Japanese native). Our teacher's name is Ito Sensei (Mrs. Ito), and she's very efficient, and doesn't waste time with phrases when learning essential grammar is more important. For instance, particles & sentence structure (syntax).

Not to mention, without a proper instructor, you lose a lot of explanation of inflections and when to use certain forms on the ends of sentences, like yo or ne. A lot gets lost in translation otherwise, as more often than not, direct translations end up not being correct at all.

PS. No offense, and though I hate to say this, but those who study the Japanese language should learn hiragana, katakana, and kanji, or they are not really learning the language. Learning Japanese in romaji is... well... like learning french without accent marks and definite articles. It's just not right.