View Single Post
Old 2008-11-10, 11:38   Link #1196
Ultenth

2nd cousins is actually legal in a decent amount of places, unlike full first cousins. And maybe it's been a while since I watched it, or I wasn't paying attention, but I'm sure I recall a few flashbacks where it was shown how they were years ago, and even then Shuu seemed very much like a caretaker to her, in place of her absent father. To me the combination of him seeming to be a father figure from a fairly young age, as well as being a 2nd cousin (too closely related for me personally, though I wouldn't necesarily hold it against others) and also having a teacher/student relationship with her, it still seems "wrong" in many ways that she chose to be with him in the end, and that he developed romantic feelings for her.

Also, part of my shock came from the fact that it seemed completely out of the blue that they had romantic feelings. Up until that point their relationship seemed almost ideally pure and familial, not romantic at all. She nor he never (to my reckoning) showed any romantic feelings towards each other, especially when compared to the ones Takemoto and Morita showed towards her, and the somewhat awkward by existant ones she showed towards Morita. To suddenly find that they have supposedly romantic feelings towards each other was extremely bizarre to me, as it hadn't really been set up by the actual story at all, and seemed like just a cheap attempt to have an unexpected "twist" at the end.

As someone who views life as a collection of memories and experiences, it also seems unfortunate to me that Hagu will now never be able to truely be "in love", and will perhaps forever miss out on that amazing life experience, which seems especially unfortunate for someone pursuing the arts. And by being "in love" I mean all the often awkward and stupid and silly and emotional feelings that come with falling in love with someone romantically, as I view her choice of Shuu as mostly just out of comfort, cowardice and cold logic. If there is more to their "love" than that, it certainly wasn't shown in a way that I (the viewer) could see it.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote