View Single Post
Old 2012-04-21, 17:05   Link #14
Rahan

Might as well start with the most well known anime films since I don't see Akira and Ghost in the Shell in your list ? (maybe you stayed away from them because you don't like SF ? If not, you need to check them out, as well as Patlabor 2 (don't be afraid, unlike the rest of the franchise, it's not really a mecha anime (and if mecha = gundam in your mind, it's not a mecha at all) and you don't need to have watched anything else of it to enjoy it)

You can't go wrong with Perfect Blue. It's weak on the animation side for a movie (it had an OVA budget), but there are reasons it jumpstarted Satoshi Kon's career and was shown in festivals all around the world before Miyazaki "redeemed" anime in the western world.

Finally, Memories is another favorite of mine. It's 3 different completely independant stories by 3 different directors (Otomo being one of them) The first one (Magnetic Rose, a SF variation on the Phantom of the Opera) is visually stunning, but my favorite might be the second one (Otomo's Stink Bomb, about some lab accidentally turning himself into a biological weapon)