Thread: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-04, 17:25   Link #63
Stealther

Having read the books, although quite a long time ago, I have to say the adaption is quite faithful. First episode was excellent, if a bit too fast-moving. Second also good. Third one feels way too fast. I think that's the overall backside for me, and the difficulty to translate the best quality of the books, the characterization.

The plot in the book is told via first-persons-views of selected characters (and some of these change with every book). First-person-view perspectives is the best way in a book to actually know a character, since you gain access to this chain of thoughts and reasoning. This is extremely hard to convert well into series I reckon. It has to be small scenes and nuances that tell this, and not just told in some weird dialogue. I feel a part of the original depth characterization is gone (I don't care if it's a bit different, but the depth), some characters more than other (of course more in those that you have first-person-views from in the books).

Still great acting by most actors, and even if Tyrion and Ned are great, they are a bit different. The one that really nailed his role 100% is Viserys Targaryen. He's really spot on, as taken from the books.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote