View Single Post
Old 2007-12-01, 13:56   Link #4
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

You avoid building on carpet because the fibres create static. Static = instant death for microprocessors.

CPU then mobo then ram for me. My reasoning for this is the processor is the brain. It has to do more. How do I choose a CPU? these are the things I look for

1. Price performance ratio. Out of the box what's a better performer
2. Overclocking potential (optional)
3. Power consumption.

As a note AMD processors and motherboards are cheaper than the intel counterparts and perform a little bit better out of the box generally for the dual core processors at the low end mid range bracket. Intel though has far better potential for a little more $ so if you're a tweaker better to get Intel.

How do I choose a motherboard?
1. Form factor aka size usually ATX or Micro ATX(ATX, MATX, ITX etc etc)
2. BIOS features required to tap into potential of CPU (optional refer to point 2 of previous list)
3. Number of SATA ports
4. Number of RAM slots
5. RAM Speed supported

If you choose an AMD platform make sure to buy DDR2 800 Ram, this basically works best with AMD processors. It doesn't really matter for Intel.

Make sure the motherboard supports DDR2. DDR1 is slower and ridiculously expensive, sometimes costing twice as much as DDR2.

Do not buy more than 3gb of RAM if you are running a 32bit operating system (99% sure you are). Why? 32 bit operating system cannot utilise anymore than 3gb of RAM

(NOte: Check what RAM speed your Motherboard supports. If it only supports 533 speed, if you put in DDR2 800 in there it will run at on 533 speed)

Forget about AGP, it's worthless now. Do not buy a motherboard with AGP or an AGP videocard. The technology is dead. It probably will be phased out in the next year or so.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote