View Single Post
Old 2013-09-04, 00:15   Link #6064
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshipw View Post
Chapter was great fun and highly enjoyable. There was actual discernible plot development. It was also a prime example of the worst of Japanese manga which come in two flavors.

Type 1

Girl 1: We are both in the same class but we have never even talked before being caught in the rain (and/or) doing chores after class since I am the most beautiful girl in school and you are a total nerd.

Boy 1: I guess so.

Girl 1: Do you want to have sex?

Boy 1: I guess so.

Girl 1: Well that was pretty enjoyable. Do you love me now?

Boy 1: I guess so. Do you want to hold hands?

Girl 1: Eww, that would be too embarrassing.

----

Type 2

Boy A: The most beautiful girl I have ever met has moved into my house for reasons too complicated to be believed since my parents have abandoned me for reasons which should be reported to Child Protective Services.

Girl A: It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Boy A: Even though I have accidentally seen her naked twenty-eight times I can't even ask her out on a date because my bossy childhood friend has also moved in to watch over us.

Girl B: It is my duty to protect her from the pervert, who I don't like at all.

Boy A: Somehow the amply breasted class rep has also moved in.

Girl C: I am only protecting the morals of the class and it has nothing to do with how he falls down, ripping my clothes off and sticking his face in my chest or crotch.

Boy A: I stopped trying to make sense of this when the teen idol joined them and my precocious little sister, who I never mentioned before, moved back from America.

Girl D: I know this could ruin my career and cost me millions of yen, but my agent is fine with it.

Girl E: It is a sister's duty to mess up her big brother's love life. Besides a little incest will make people forget the plot holes.

Boy A: Now everyone is naked, but nothing is going to happen because... There must be a reason somewhere.

---

Both tropes completely miss the point of romance. Everything is accidental or repressed. There is no path for falling out of lust and into love. Missing is that test of courage which involves asking someone out. Where is the warmth from sitting next to the person you like? Where are the brief touches to fingers or shoulders and the awkward conversation; the surreptitious glances to see if it is going well? Most importantly, missing is the goodnight kiss which will convey a thousand texts worth of how interested they are.

The getting to know you phase is either missing or superficial. The harem master may learn if the girls can cook or do housework, but if you are never alone how do you find out what fifty years of life as a couple will be like? When do you hold hands, cuddle, laugh about things only you two know? When do soft kisses turn into tongue wrestling requiring the breath control of a pearl diver? Breasts should be touched, not because you are a clumsy oaf, but because you both want them to feel good.

In the real world the end of the date may combine the wonderful feeling from a happy evening with the frustration of stopping, unfulfilled. But that frustration holds a promise that neither a too-easy brief encounter story nor a long no-progress visible manga can match.
Oh god, I think i just threw up from laughing so hard. Best explanation of Japanese cliche's ever.