View Single Post
Old 2008-11-27, 23:07   Link #49
Caster13
=^_^=

The shared dream foreshadows the future not just to us viewers, but to Taiga and Ryuuji as well. Nothing could better define Taiga and Ryuuji as independent characters then their negative reaction to the dream--where as us viewers (or at last, us Taiga-Ryuuji pairing fans) couldn't stop laughing gleefully at it. The creators are doing an excellent job of letting the show and characters develop naturally at their own pace instead of simply giving in to the pressure of giving us fans the service we want.

If there's a single word that I would use to describe this episode, it's bittersweet. Both Ryuuji and Taiga get so close--closer than they've ever been--to the ones they have a crush on, and yet they couldn't be any farther. Yet, at the same time, Ryuuji and Taiga become even closer and closer. Unfortunately, Ryuuji's too dense to realize it while Aisaka is too hesitant--out of fear? uncertainty? indecisive?--to appreciate and act upon it, to show Ryuuji what she has caught a glimpse of.

We see a lot of Minori that we've never seen before this episode. But it's not because she's two-faced or has a split personality. She truly does enjoy life to the fullest, which explains her eccentric behaviour. But she hasn't a love life to enjoy and so she can't approach the topic light--she struggles to talk about it because she has nothing good to say about it, nothing to act all happy and weird about.

I feel the worst for Ami, however. She continues to be interesting this episode and I think I'm starting to understand her more. She loves to tease and toy. She does so to get close to other people, to interact with them on a level deeper than simply look-at-me-I'm-cute-and-bubbly. By showing them what she truly enjoys and takes pleasure in, she opens herself up to others. I couldn't help but think that she really wanted Ryuuji to "take advantage" of the situation in the bathroom. I can't help but emphasize for her seeing as to how she's the fifth wheel.

The end of the episode was rather poignant, I think. Taiga's and Ryuuji's last lines hint that what dreams foretell is ultimately inevitable.

Anyhow. Some other random moments I just have to comment on:

Ami smacking the beach ball so hard that it hits Yuusaku in the face, knocking him flat was a funny surprise. This show has been doing an excellent job of using classical cartoon sound effects for comedic effect. It makes one feel nostalgic for the likes of Bugs Bunny.

I love how Taiga uses flies as an excuse for slapping people in the face.

Ryuuji pantomiming the bathroom incident was brilliantly hilarious.

Poor Ya-chan. I have the slightest of fears that when Ryuuji and Taiga come back, they're going to find her starved to death in the darkness of the Takasu apartment.

And I absolutely love Ami's voice actor. She's able to pull off the most amazing, wonderful teasing voice where she lightly drags out the end of certain words in an adorably alluring tone. In this episode it's her "Hey. I have a stomach ache, too... Just kidding" line. And back in episode eight: "Hey-ee, Hona sainoraaa."