View Single Post
Old 2011-04-21, 07:39   Link #287
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

I really love the first episode and I hope the second episode will be just as good (or better).

Synopsis of the second episode is already up at the official site, by the way. The art in the teaser screencaps don't look nice though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I don't wish to belabour the point, but I would say that's exactly what being pretentious means: to adopt something that seems cool, without understanding why it's cool. And I, like many people, find that distracting, if not outright irritating.
Eh? But not all shows are really adopting what they seem to be adopting, I believe.
I think it depends on the viewer's background/knowledge and interpretation (unless the creators or the show had been specific on them).
People won't even notice the Christian references if they're not familiar with the religion in the first place. And I doubt Eva has religion as its main theme at all (Hmm... I don't remember much of its story anymore so I could be wrong. But from what I remember, it doesn't really involve religion related matters much).

And if a writer has to make references for the sake of using a certain term to his story, it's like limiting what his story could cover. Like he can't make a love story with the couple named Adam and Eve if he won't make references to Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Many people? I believe most viewers are unconcerned with how the concepts in this anime are named.
Seconding this.

I think most people don't even care about the concepts, symbolisms, references, deep meanings, etc. in a show.
As long as the show's visually appealing or it satisfies one's bias/fetishes, that's enough to please many viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makender View Post
But you know some justification for the use of terms would be nice. At least show they've done their homework when they attach a term to something. And I don't mean drawn out explanations, but at least some exhibition of why this term makes sense to be attached to so-and-so. It would certainly make the series as a whole make a lot more sense and would (at least to me and perhaps all the other econoheads out there) make it a wholly more enjoyable experience as the background terms all tie together. If the terminology is a mess then it all seems like a joke.
It's nice indeed (I really love it when a show does that~), but at times the use of terms/symbolisms depends on how the viewer interprets them. So a term, if not explained directly by the show, can make sense to one viewer but not to another. I mean, like with "Entrepreneur", some people think the show isn't using the term with justice, but there are some that think otherwise.
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote