View Single Post
Old 2011-01-03, 18:57   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
A bit of topic but who are you ? I know who is Kairin but never seen a member with this pseudo before today ...

Other than that, I put a 7,5/10 for this serie. The main problem is the script and the editing. But I really like this new format and all the girls are great
Kairin is Kairin ... a mysterious mascot who's been around since day one. She doesn't post too often.

(whether she's an aggregate personality avatar or a single source avatar is a mystery )

As for Amagami .... I thought the mechanical idea of the serial parallel reality or "omnibus" was interesting. However, I think the writers missed the boat with the protagonist .... he's basically a substantially different person even in the beginning of each arc - so you've lost that whole sense of him evolving towards each girl as he learns about her. Some of the stories are fairly incomplete, one or two are actually grade-school amateurish in execution, a few are pretty good.

I mostly finished the series because I said I wanted to see how this type of 'omnibus' worked out... but I'd have probably dropped it otherwise or waited til it was over and chosen an arc or two based on review posts. As usual, some of the side characters seemed far more interesting and full of potential than the main characters.

Mostly I think the omnibus idea is a fair solution... but the stories still suffer from what I feel is a level of insufficient talent in the adaptation teams. They get paid for this, they should be able to take even piss-poor source material and do something entertaining with it.... but more often I see them take fairly excellent material and just fail. I used to say that integrating stories was often hard and cut them some slack, but this didn't help them out much.

The 'choose the girl' genre isn't a high-brow art... but it seems like maybe 1 out of 10 climb out of the sludge at times to shine a bit. I gave Amagami a "7" overall .... "8" when it was firing on all cylinders and either a "6" or "5" when it was spiraling into oblivion.

Some of my favorite anime characters come from horrible series as well as good ones, but only a couple were really somewhat memorable here as characters in themselves (whatever I thought of the plot).

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-01-03 at 19:10.