View Single Post
Old 2010-09-03, 05:16   Link #420
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
And to contribute to the topic, I find it interesting how we never hear about any other ITDE interface's experience through Endless Eight. Was it just Yuki that became so depressed? It wouldn't surprise me given how much Tanigawa-sensei likes her character.
Frankly, the only other interface we know of that was functional at the time has only shown up 3-4 times in the entire series, and has been quite tacit each of those times. Even if she did experience something similar to Yuki (and there's no reason to assume she didn't), she's not exactly going to call Kyon up and talk it over with him... And if he doesn't hear about it, neither do we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
I need to amend my previous statement. It's not at all unreasonable for Yuki to pick up emotions. It's simple adaptation, and for all we know, Asakuru went through a similar (albeit much accelerated) process. If Yuki develops emotion as a way of appearing more normal, that's pretty understandable.

However, what's not understandable is Yuki developing MOTIVATION. It's one thing to win a computer game because that's what will make Haruhi happy and less likely to break things (which is part of your job description). It's a completely different thing to win a computer game because you personally want to be victorious.

When we see other people act, we can empathize because we too are human. We are intrinsically emotional, so we can grow and learn by seeing what other people do. In engineering terms, other people are white boxes to us. However, a humanoid interface like Yuki wouldn't have this insight. She'd have to approach things from a black box perspective; she'd see people acting a certain way, but she wouldn't know why. The best she could do was mimic the emotions she observed. She would develop a database of proper emotional responses for particular situations, and that would be the extent of the adaptation. That's it. How can you acquire intrinsic motivation, something you can't observe or relate to?

And even if that was possible, I don't get why the ISDE made Yuki the way they did. This thing is (likely) the most powerful consciousness in the galaxy. Didn't they do any quality assurance before shipping her out? How could they let a flaw like personal motivation through?
So then you agree with me. You're saying it's unsurprising that Yuki would be able to mimic emotions (adaptation and all that) but actually getting real emotion (you say "motivation" but then tie that to us being intrinsically emotional) is the surprise.

And it's hardly surprising that the IDSE would overlook that possibility. We don't know what they are like, but we know that they had to create the human interfaces just to get an indirect observation/communication path going. As alien as their consciousness must be to ours, their ideas of "emotion" should be just as alien. And they'd certainly expect their more advanced consciousness to be able to overcome any "errors" (like human "motivation" or emotion) that might creep in along with the biological body.