View Single Post
Old 2011-12-11, 13:39   Link #51
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
Honestly, I have been thinking the same thing.

- Kotor was warped into a themepark MMO like WoW.
-C&C RTS (vs Starcraft)
-Rumor that Dragon Age will become/have an online component. (vs Diablo 3)

To be honest, it is perfectly fine to have competition, which will drive some interesting games hopefully. However, I shall mourn the loss of Kotor RPG as a causality of the MMO.
You can play SWTOR as if you were playing KOTOR; completely alone, and just for the story, if you so wish. Minimize the chat tab and make sure you have no friendly/enemy player nameplates on, and you wouldn't even realize you weren't playing a single player RPG.

Anyways, as to the topic on hand, I'm not sure how I feel about "Bioware" doing this game (why do we still call them Bioware seeing how long it's been since they were bought by EA).

Maybe it's just me, but I was once a big fan of the Command & Conquer series not for its innovative RTS mechanics, but for its ultra cheesy/campy stories and 'cutscenes'. And while we could argue some of Bioware's stories are...a bit out there in cheese factor (DA 2, lulz), I have a hard time seeing Bioware's writers giving us the type of camp the Command & Conquer series is renown for.

I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about a Command & Conquer that features you, the protagonist, having to gather some companions; all of whom are going to be bisexual and romanceable; all the while following a cleverly disguised, highly linear story that has you first: a) Gather your companions, b) deal with a plot point, c) finish gathering your companions, d) deal with another plot point, e) deal with a plot twist, f) beat the big bad in a climax.

If it seems I'm a bit cynical, it's because Bioware has followed the almost exact same general script for every game they've made since KOTOR. Here's hoping they shake things up, or even better, that the "Bioware" label this time really is just a label, and that that particular studio doesn't actually involve any original Bioware employees, because as much as I like the remnants of Bioware, I'm not sure I actually want them to be touching this RTS franchise.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2011-12-11 at 13:53.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote