View Single Post
Old 2009-10-14, 21:16   Link #259
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
I think it's a given that in any ending, Haruhi will achieve what she truly wishes to achieve, so I think a good ending really hinges on where she lands on the whole "supernatural life vs. normal life" debate that is the subtext of her personal growth. I for one hope she settles on something like "Rather than seeking outside forces to make my life amazing, I'll do that with my own hands." I just can't see Haruhi ever being completely content with a run-of-the-mill adult life, but conversely if she really decides the only experiences of value are paranormal, then her entire character arc would have been a waste.
I personally hate the idea of Haruhi sacrificing her powers, or losing them permanently in some fashion. I've simply seen too many anime endings, Star Trek episodes, and even western comic book stories, that are similar to that; it's a bit of a cliche, really (this is especially true if Haruhi makes the sacrifice for romantic reasons; i.e. to appeal more to Kyon).

It would be a much bolder and more unique ending, in my mind, if Haruhi gets to keep her powers. The boldest possible ending, imo, would be to have Haruhi keep her powers, and learn of them, and us the viewer get to see how she copes with them on more than a very short-term basis, all the while maintaining relationships with her friends.

They say that absolute power corrupts absolutely. It might be nice to see an ending that tries to offer an antithesis to that for a change.

Mind you, while I hope for this ending, I doubt we will get it.