View Single Post
Old 2013-10-22, 04:07   Link #2267
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Big post incoming, I apologize in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Wrong. I watched and really liked the new Minami ke a few seasons back. Servant x Service was ok of what I've watched but I never finished it. Watamote was brilliant and that had ton of Tomoko moe in it, albeit in twisted ironic ways. I know that many of the posters on AS feel the same.
These are terrible examples of "moe comedies".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I'm watching one right now and it blows every KyoAni "moe comedy" except maybe Suzumiya Haruhi out of the water when it comes to effective comedy and moe characters.
Now Love Lab, that's a pretty good example of a "moe comedy", if a rather unusual one.
Haruhi is not.

Quote:
Doesn't mean that the scene Utsuro is talking about wasn't funny (it was).
I don't think it was particularly fitting, and, again, though I was admittedly making a joke at Another's expense, I really don't think it's a great example of something that integrates humor into a more serious narrative well at all.

Quote:
Kyoani is trying REALLY HARD with their usual gimmicks and forcing humour in a non-comedy centric series and that is where the difference lies.
I mean Strike the Blood and Tokyo Ravens and the like are also generic as hell but they don't force bad humour no where near as much as this does.
I think you have this problem where you have these very strict definitions of what can and can't be allowed in specific genres, and you're certainly not the only person I've met with such a problem, so I wouldn't worry at all.
Precious few of the fights in Kyokai so far are actually serious or life-threatening... as I said, they're very laid-back and irrelevant, so the presence of comedy fits perfectly well in-context.
Whether or not you think the comedy is good or not is your opinion and you're entitled to that, but I don't think you can really say that the humor is being "forced".

Quote:
I'd argue no for this case because it was a truly a chance for Kyoani to break away from its mold, which they spectacularly failed at.
a) KyoAni hasn't made an action show since, what, TSR? Certainly not one without mechs before, either. That's pretty mold-breaking.
b) I would also like to remind you that you are talking about a show with only three episodes out as of this writing. If I were to judge whether a show had "succeeded" or "failed" after only three episodes, Hyouka would be a pretty but boring show with underdeveloped, artificial characters and Chu2Koi a vibrant, comic masterpiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I certainly didn't expect a "moe comedy" from Kyoukai no Kanata, not with that trailer. Though to be fair to moe comedies, it's "moe nonsense" is what it is.
What trailer? This one, in which there are many comedy-like elements present? This one, which, yes, emphasizes the series' action/supernatural elements, and was released very close to this one, which is both moe and comic in nature? Or do you mean this one, which was released both long before an actual anime adaptation was announced and long before almost anyone in the English-speaking community knew anything at all about the series, and as a result were given the chance to impose all of their delusions and expectations about what a "KyoAni action series" would be like onto what was at the time effectively a blank slate?
I'm sorry, you don't get to pull the "the big bad KyoAni tricked me with all their insidious cynical moe" card here, what the series was going to be was obvious quite some time before airing if you were actually bothering to pay attention.

Quote:
KnK is pretty irrelevant in comparison and its reception and popularity is about as high as Tamako Market as far as I can tell.
The sheer amount of hatred I see for this show is really unwarranted especially considering its small following, but also because it is (in my opinion) not awful, but merely mediocre.
Quote:
The kind of overall tone the creators were going for is quite interesting, I agree. If only they could execute it better.
Yeah, it's kind of a shame. This week is going to be really terrible because Mirai isn't exactly a well-written character and they're going to have hyper-dramatic scenes that are very dependent on her being a well-written character.

Quote:
Yes because Kyoani conforms to general trends to a level that no other major studio does (I seriously cannot think of another studio that conforms to their "signature" style as much as Kyoani does)
Yeah, see, this is because KyoAni is a relatively small studio, with most of their shows being produced by the same core staff.
It's actually far more accurate to talk about "KyoAni shows" as following "general trends" more than it is for any other studio because of this, yes, and any "oh it's JC Staff being JC Staff again" or "SUNRISE TRAINWRECK" or what have you comments are pretty ignorant of the huge variation in staff between shows produced under the same studio label.
I think that those generalized remarks directed at X studio and Y thing they produce only apply to KyoAni and really not even then, as I'd argue a lot of their shows are only superficially similar; they feel the same because they have the same people working on them.