View Single Post
Old 2013-10-22, 13:27   Link #2277
RobotCat
In a Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

I think you have this problem where you have these very strict definitions of what can and can't be allowed in specific genres, and you're certainly not the only person I've met with such a problem, so I wouldn't worry at all.
Precious few of the fights in Kyokai so far are actually serious or life-threatening... as I said, they're very laid-back and irrelevant, so the presence of comedy fits perfectly well in-context.
Whether or not you think the comedy is good or not is your opinion and you're entitled to that, but I don't think you can really say that the humor is being "forced".

I don't think he's saying silly humor shouldn't be allowed in a supernatural show, but rather that the tone that the silly humor set up doesn't work well with the sudden 'serious' backstory for Mirai and the plot developments in episode 3-4.

Picking a right tone is incredibly important especially if you want to tell a serious story. If the tone isn't right jokes will fall flat and drama will feel forced. Most people are complaining that this is the case for KnK so far, as the first 2 episodes seem to have created this silly and light hearted atmosphere that has pretty much trivialized anything serious in the story but then episode 3 suddenly goes full throttle on the dark past and suicidal redemption story line. This sudden gear shift just doesn't work, which is why most people are complaining about the silly jokes in the earlier episodes.

Basically, if KyoAn wanted to tell a silly and lighthearted story, they should not have Mirai's background be so dark, and even if they did, it shouldn't have come into play full blast so early. If they wanted to tell a more serious story, they should have cut back on the silliness and developed a more serious tone right from the beginning.