View Single Post
Old 2012-07-12, 22:23   Link #36
TJR

Quote:
Nah. The minimum license fee goes to the NA distributors I guess. Any extra is paid as royalty to the Japanese company.
Minimum guarantees are paid by the local distributor to the Japanese producers. Once the distributor has recouped that cost, royalties are paid on additional sales. Stronger R1 sales mean more money to the licensor, although it's true that certain companies have failed to meet their MG payments.

Streaming is somewhat similar in that the amount of money paid to the licensor depends on the number of views.

Quote:
Continued employment, but of what kind? I've read some things about how this industry works
Can't argue there. Industry conditions are bad, and as consumers, we can't do a whole lot.

Quote:
if they aren't outdated or inaccurate, it's a pretty shitty job, especially for inbetweeners and clean-up animators.
I doubt the information is outdated or inaccurate. There are many people working in low paid positions. Most don't stay for long, and unless they go the extra mile to develop their skills and differentiate themselves, they have little hope of advancement.

However, surveys are skewed because higher paid animators are less inclined to respond to them. As some have mentioned, they would never have stuck around if their yearly incomes were as low as suggested. No one gets rich working as animators, but some do well enough to avoid working all year round and to be choosy in terms of projects.

Quote:
but it's still a low-end job compared to the huge money the industry supposedly moves.
Does anime on its own represent enough money to change the situation? It would be different if the publishing companies (manga, light novel, etc.) and original authors gave anime studios a cut on increased sales of their products (after all, adaptations are often commissioned to promote said products). However, that's obviously not going to happen.

Last edited by TJR; 2012-07-12 at 23:15.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote