View Single Post
Old 2007-12-24, 22:55   Link #7
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Update:

I spent yesterday uninstalling/reinstalling the Creative software according to the directions on their site (through the Clean Boot process and all that), and then updating their and Windows updates. All re-boots went fine with no hangings that required restarting in Safe Mode. I also went into MSCONFIG and removed most of the unnecessary startup progs. Still a few more I can yank out, I think. Wish there was a good way to figure out exactly WHICH programs are essential.

Today I tested it by going to the site with that midi Christmas jingle, which played fine (nauseating as that was ). I played through an hour's worth of Titan Quest and Neverwinter Nights 2, no problems. I even went to the new Anime News Network stream of Kanon episode 1 and it played without a hitch.

BUT: I just went back to the jingle-site and after a half-hour there the damn sound cut out again, leaving just that faint high pitched frequency tone. Upon re-boot it reset fine and sound is back. I'm dreading watching any more anime on my PC though because I HATE when the sound stops mid-scene I just can't figure why the sound sounds GREAT everywhere else and then all of a sudden quits!

Incidentally, if this matters, the mouse also froze upon one of the crashes at the "jingle-site"; a one-time only occurrence. Since reinstallation it's been fine though, aside from the sound cut-out. (It's a MS wireless optical mouse.)

I guess I'll have to try the youp-Pax next, after I get the energy up to deal with uninstalling all of the Creative BS again. After tomorrow, probably

Thanks for suggesting it, and your help (and Zero's too)
Ahasuerus is offline   Reply With Quote