View Single Post
Old 2006-07-05, 06:12   Link #35
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
I don't think 14 episodes is actually a standard length. ^^;; 13 is a more common number. Even so, 24,25,26 is a lot more common and you also get ones that go into their 60's, 80's, over 100, over 300. Ofcourse you get OVAs which are normally 1-6 episodes... and odd ones like FLCL that finish at 6 episodes.

So in terms of standard lengths, I think, particularly in recent years, they've dissolved. =)

In the case of Haruhi Suzumiya, I also agree 14 episodes was a bit short, but just like the re-arrangement of chronological order, I think it was done on purpose. Considering factors such as budget (the reason for NGE series' tragic final epsidoes), and questioning exactly how much time would sufficiently communicate enough of the story to attract a large audience (and you can't argue this series hasn't caught a lot of attention), I think the thought put into its "duration" was well done. In terms of getting the amount of what you put in, I think Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu wins bonus points. If I were an anime critic, I wouldn't ignore this.

Anyway, it's duration I'd argue was enough if their goal was to give everyone a "taste" of Haruhi Suzumiya. If you want more, read the book, because that's where it all began. I'm certainly not against an OVA or a second series though but, I think it would be tricky to do one and keep the same standard. Compared to a lot of series it's pacing and storytelling was well thought out. For example, I recently finished Gantz and was incredibly frustrated with that pacing - I found myself skimming through the last episodes. I thought it could have been done well in 13 episodes.

Well done to Kyoto Animation - hurry up and release here in Australia so I can buy the series (I RARELY buy).

And thank you a.f.k. =)