View Single Post
Old 2017-07-08, 08:52   Link #66
Tenzen12

1) Because he is second generation owner of restaurant that runs several decades already, they had time figure things out.

2)Yes

3) No otherworld food is worse than any dragon. Even natural enemies ignore each other when ban is alternative...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
As a crazy person who focus on weird elements of a show, I need to bring up the thing with currency.

The chef made the assumption that 10,000 yen, Japanese student minimum wage, is worth 10 silver coins. Using current real life exchange rate it actually adds up to 480 yen per coin, assuming it is 8 grams per coin. So he is paying her 4800yen worth of silver. But this likely assumed to put into account that rare metals are less rare in real life than in fantasy medieval worlds. It also makes his mental math easier to directly convert Yen to silver coins.

Also for completion's sake, 13th century medieval society converts between 12 to 18 silver coins to a single 8 gram gold coin.

A 13th century labourer need to spend 3 days to earn a gram of gold, or 24 days to earn a full 8 gram gold coin.

This meant gold and silver are about 8-10 times more valuable in medieval society than the modern day.

It also means the waitress is basically being paid the equivalent of three weeks wages for every day of work she does. But that's the difference with having minimum wage laws. Ancient world's wages sucked.
Apparently for single day she would make enough money to buy 1/10 if boar or 3-5 rabbits. Single pot of street stew can be bought for 2 copper coins.