Thread: Xbox One
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-13, 07:36   Link #1341
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Feature wise, i assume they are targeting families with the standard tv setup by offering all in one solution and that's a good thing. There's obvious advantage to having a single box that handles all everything for your standard tv instead of juggling between your cable tv box, dvr and gaming console.
Think MS still haven't detailed how the TV feature will work. The Xbone itself doesn't seem to have aerial/coaxial input, meaning the feed must come somehow form the hdmi connector. I'm not 100% sure, but that means your TV needs to have at least either two hdmi connectors, one to send the TV feed to the xbone and another to receive the processed feed, or one hdmi connector meeting least the 1.4 spec and a hdmi cable with ethernet channel. See this is actually more confusing for your average person. I reckon most people have HDTVs with one hdmi and with pre hdmi 1.4 connectors, this means they will have to get a new TV just to utilised the full potential of the xbone.
In that case, they might as well buy a new TV and a PS4 or PC, considering that steaming is on the rise, and neither PC or PS4 have a paywalls blocking streaming services. If I understand correctly you can get netflix or another service on the PS4/3 without having PS+, unlike the 360(and possible Xbone) where you need to have live subscription.
The idea of the xbone sound fine, but once you ask the questions on how it will work, it get a bit confusing, because nothing was covered in detail by MS.

Kind of disappointed that no "videogames" journalist actually inquired about the TV features. It is one of the machines core feature, but non of them thought it would be an good idea to ask how it actually works, or what is required to make it work.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote