View Single Post
Old 2004-07-03, 01:16   Link #75
arias

Wonderful series, I was apprehensive at the start when I heard about this crazy concept of a girl on a guy's hand. Thought it would be lame; but heard some great reviews and decided to try the first episode. And then I was hooked.

The animation is very economic. Mucho stuffo like background art is repeated, but the animation for the characters are fluid, although the base art is not anything to scream about. Very presentable, and certainly none of the factors are particularly outstanding, but as a whole the anime is pretty damn good. Very well put-together, I must say. The ED song and sequencing is.. The OP sequence also has one of my favorite scenes; Seiji running with Midori outstretched, like she's flying. I don't know, but to me that scene makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I supported Midori very much; not that I don't like "spicy" girls and such, but the fact that I thought she was being very sincere. But she was very different as the hand as compared to her full sized self; she was way more active I don't know why so many people thought she was irritating or annoying, I thought nothing was overdone. I also thought her voice actor did a wonderful, wonderful job. Ayase didn't appeal much to me, she was mostly used as a platform for humor and was humanized in the last two episodes as a competing love interest.

As a whole, I thought the series did incredibly good. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece or anything, but at 13 episodes, it's short, sweet and effective. Nothing drags on or gets boring (like how it sometimes does in longer series, like Escaflowne), the pacing is a little quick but it's a -tight- anime, that's for sure. I liked the ending, thought it could use a little more work, but was satisfied with it. It musn't have cost much to produce, because it's so simple, but nevertheless, overall, I seriously think that this is one of the best compact series I've ever watched. I feel happy.

Will proceed on to manga now.