Thread: Graphic cards
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-11, 00:15   Link #98
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Does AMD intend to put out another AM3 quad core CPU; one that will surpass the 965 (and hopefully the i5s)?
Neither AMD nor Intel has anything big planned in the quad core space at the moment as far as I know. Both companies are pushing the limits of the 45nm production process from what I've seen - I hear AMD has plans for a 3.6ghz X4 975, but the extra 200 mhz over the 965 won't make up the performance difference with the i5.

To see a real clock speed boost, you'll need to wait for 32nm processors (smaller manufacturing processes allow for higher clock speeds in general). I don't think AMD plans to produce these for a while. Intel has 32nm chips coming, but they're targeted at the low end (dual core with integrated GPU) and high end (six core) markets, not the more mid range quad core market.

I do hear AMD may release a six core AM3 CPU in mid to late 2010, whereas Intel's six core CPUs will only be available on the expensive LGA 1366 socket (as opposed to the cheaper LGA 1156 design) at first. But I'm not sure I'd consider this a big deal: unlike intel's hexa-core chips, AMD's will still be a 45nm design and I doubt it will be clocked as high as AMD's current quads. They have to keep heat output in check somehow.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote