View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 02:14   Link #59
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Still, if the viewer is willing to look past some logical inconsistencies, possible plot holes, and general all-around "ass-pulls", there's a lot to like in this anime.
I know you're pretty fond of this anime, but I'll note that in the past you've criticized other titles for these issues despite those problems not being nearly as prevalent as they are here. However, if only more people could just simply enjoy things by not being hung up on such quirks....daresay I think the world would be a better place.

All things considered, Guilty Crown isn't terrible. It has great production values and interesting concepts. However what Guilty Crown lacks is strong and consistent direction. It flounders at several key character progression points. It tries to combine too many elements into one story. You have the mech genre stuff. You have the school setting. The "Japan is a warzone" setting. The sci-fi elements with the virus and clones. The generic evil organization that can't control mad scientists and generals yet somehow manages to "almost" win anyway. The idol singer. The "cool guy who isn't the hero but should be". The cat-girl ears, the EVA plug suits. The Rei clone. The "average hero who isn't actually average, but spends most of the story being worthless".

This story would have worked better, imo, if it had toned down the scale and gotten rid of the mech stuff. The virus angle works well, and I think the story is done a disservice by all of the stuff that clutters up the plot: the empire, the rebels, the ridiculous people turn into/sheath weapons stuff, etc. The makings of a good sci-fi/horror ala Parasite Eve were here, but instead the show drowns itself in Frankenstein of otaku pandering and cherry picked elements of previous hallmark anime.

Of course, it would be a very different story, I suppose...but that's exactly why Guilty Crown bothers me so much. Each of these elements, on their own, probably would have made for good anime. Guilty Crown just tries to do too much and succeeds at doing so little with it. Strip away the production values and you're left with something that manages to be worse than the sum of its parts.

Like I said two paragraphs before, I don't think Guilty Crown is a bad watch....but seeing it, and thinking what could have been, it's impossible for me not to feel a bit saddened.