View Single Post
Old 2012-09-28, 02:10   Link #813
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Please support your assertion for how theocratic concepts for governing are "not applicable" to large portions of the planet. "Divine right of kings" is not exclusively European but has close parallels in many regions of the world, do I have to list them all?
She's just saying that the centuries-long wrestle between Roman Catholic Kraken and multinational warlord aristocracy across European continent has had no parallel elsewhere. I do agree that conflicts between political elites and religious clergy has been a universal phenomenon.

@aohige : Heck, I don't even type my posts. My christian slaves do that for me

@Irenicus : Ideological narratives should never dictate academic understanding. Kings and Queens can have no temporal power and still function in some way or another like in UK, Japan, Scandinavia, and many other living examples accross the world. And when they do pose political power, it needs not to be infinite either. Monarchy doesn't automatically translate into autocratic tyranny, just as much as Republic doesn't automatically mean a proper democratic universal suffrage which upholds human rights.

I'm definitely all for liberal secularism. But I'm against Turkish and French laicitism because non-interference between state and religion should be mutual, instead one sided.