View Single Post
Old 2011-06-02, 00:00   Link #100
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't speak for eroge, but I've brought plenty of doujins through US Customs right in my carry-on. Never gave it a thought, never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, if you want me to understand your argument, you would probably have to qualify/describe the nature of the personal growth you think we were shown and how it was negated by his choice here. It (still?) isn't very clear to me how this episode negates anything that was shown about Kyousuke's character, values, or opinions.
For me, it comes down to the simple fact that he had started to seemingly have a little self-respect. He'd developed a pretty normal and healthy (relatively) friendship with Kuroneko. He seemed to be coping perfectly fine with Kirino's absence - thinking of her as any sibling would and worrying that she wasn't communicating much, but getting on with his life.

Now, in this ending, he's right back to square one. Any feelings he has for Kuroneko or Manami are jettisoned as he whips away to America. And once there, any progress he'd made in his relationship with Kirino is gone, too - right back to square one - she insults and degrades him (at least she didn't kick him in the nuts this time - I guess we call that progress) and he meekly takes it and offers himself at her beck and call. Breaks down in tears and pleads her to come home, because he can't function without her. Excuse me? What was all that healthy school life I was looking at what she was gone?

Everything felt stagnant. Kirino didn't really grow much either, as far as I'm concerned. I've said since early on that Kyou was doing her no favors by allowing her to behave the way she did and suffer no consequences for it. There were hints of progress in the "good end", but the conversation in her dorm could easily have taken place in the second or third episode. It was actually worse, because he more or less openly acknowledged that he was attracted to her and uninterested in being with anyone else. That just makes me sad.

I hope that at least gives you a better idea of where my disappointment is coming from. I suspect we're at the point of diminishing returns on this discussion, because it seems to be a simply case of a different set of expectations and a different interpretation of events, and I'm fine with that. But you asked - so I gave it a shot!

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2011-06-02 at 00:22.