View Single Post
Old 2008-05-02, 10:33   Link #49
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloodlust Kid View Post
So for now, just recommend me which ext hard drive I should use to back everything up on.
First, you don't want or need to back "everything" up. Just back up the files you created. If you have a DVD burner, I'd use that. It has the advantage of also creating a permanent backup in case you don't have one of those already.

Edit: In case you're asking about backing up software you've installed, that really doesn't work too well on modern Windows machines. Most applications need to write entries to the "Registry" when installed, and you'll have a fresh registry when you've re-installed. So I'm afraid you're going to have to install any software applications again on top of your fresh Windows installation.

As for external hard drives, I just bought a Maxtor One Touch with dual 750 GB drives. I switched it from "RAID 0" to "RAID 1" since the former just builds a single big disk from the two. RAID 1 writes duplicate copies of everything to both drives simultaneously so it protects you against one of the drives failing. This was a bit pricey, but I intend to use it for a long time.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-05-02 at 12:39. Reason: why backing up applications won't work
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote