Thread: Gundam Seed
View Single Post
Old 2004-04-19, 10:24   Link #50
Silver_Scorcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
This and many other animated series are completed shows and comes with pre-established characters and stories that at some point, will pay off when done right.

While I agree that the actors have no obligations to listen to the Japanese tracks just to get a feel for the atmosphere, what should be done really, is research into their characters and see how it was done in the first place, either via a coach or if available, a studio-subtitled episode. One of the chiefest principle in acting is that "Acting is Doing." In that everything an actor does or does not do, directly alters the perceptions of the audience, thus alters and shapes the character itself. After all, the audience only have an actor's doings to derive a character from.
Actually, in most cases, English VA's do have to watch the anime in the original Japanese format before hand. Some do it voluntarily to get a feel for the character they're playing, but most (particularly at ADV's IS&M) have to listen to the Japanese diologue on a head set, watch it on screen and recite there lines at the same time. It's mostly to match there speech with the mouth flaps on screen, hence making dubs a lot harder than a lot of people might think.

Warning: Spoilers ahead

Getting back on topic now, why are so many people complaining about how the characters sound in the DUB? It's the first episode for god's sake! I haven't seen the dub (I'll have to wait till the DVD's come out in September), but i have seen the series in its entirety. Alright so Athrun's VA doesn't sound so emotional. So what? Athrun is pretty calm and serious until half way through when Nichol dies. It's the same thing with Yzak. Yzak is pretty much the same case as Athrun until he gets scarred by Kira. Don't jump to conclusions yet. It's only the first episode. Just wait for the main characters to fill out a few episodes down the road. If the DUB doesn't improve by then, then everyone bashing the dub has every justification to criticise it. Until then just wait and be patient.
Silver_Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote