View Single Post
Old 2009-11-27, 20:51   Link #178
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I read through volume seven of the novel today, and watched the corresponding episodes of the anime again after that because the conclusion of that arc was one of the main highlights of the series to me. While watching, I couldn't help but notice how much was cut out. I can honestly say I didn't enjoy the episodes as much as when I watched them the first time because I just kept thinking, "Wow, they cut that. They changed that. They switched the order. And that was cut, too." Through both episodes I just kept repeating things like that.

If I had never read the novels I could probably give the series a high overall rating, but after seeing how much was cut, I just can't help but think the anime doesn't do the series justice. Before reading through the novels I would have probably given it a 9.5 or 10, and I think for people that haven't read the novel and never will the series will have that kind of feeling to it. Having been spoiled by the novels, however, I think the series is more on the level or a 7 just because of all the events and character development that get cut. It would have been great if this could have been spread out over two or even three seasons. Though I guess Haruhi would kind of make people not want to go that route. xD Source material is usually always better than adaptions exactly because of reasons like this, but this is still a great anime. I just really wish it could have been longer and more developed.