View Single Post
Old 2012-09-23, 01:35   Link #126
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
You can't just present a poor vulnerable girl (which btw was screaming to be "felt sorry for", which I also didn't buy - manufactured drama to the max) and then suddenly do a 180 and make her into some AI program and "cheat" to erase a powerful boss. And then do a 180 again and create a melodramatic scene of her fading away with both Kirito and Asuna crying over their loss.
??? Yui was a mysterious character from the get-go. She didn't have an indicator like a normal player, and she didn't behave like an NPC. She lost her memory, and thus was behaving like a helpless child. But it was obvious all along that she was no normal child. Many people speculated last week that she was some sort of AI program.

Defeating the boss and then being erased by the program seem pretty logical to me. An AI is a quasi-independent system; by exercising their choice and abusing their administrative powers, it's logical that they'd have their power revoked, and thus would disappear.

(And I don't see why it's so surprising that Kirito and Asuna would get attached to her even in the short time they shared together. Even though it was sudden, it was like they adopted a daughter. They saw her as their child. Is that so strange?)

So yeah... I really honestly don't understand the issue. The entire purpose of the conflict in this episode was to reveal Yui's identity as an AI. It's not like the plot developed this way because the author somehow painted himself into a corner -- the point is that *she is* a "God". I'm more surprised you didn't see this coming with all the hints last week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
This is aside from the fact at the very beginning of the episode, where there was so many children in this virtual reality world. Yes underage people can secretly play MMOs, but that many of them? I thought only 10,000 got access to it iirc.
I'm not sure that's "so many" -- there were what, 30-40? I don't really think it's so surprising that parents would let their kids play with the "new toy". If only they knew...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
I know relentlessflame will read this for some reason so...

Spoiler for Vol. 1 & 2 -- cut out detail from Blue-Eyed Demon Episode -- Game Mechanics:
I hope I will read it since you were responding to my post. Thanks for using a good, descriptive spoiler tag label!