View Single Post
Old 2009-09-01, 08:14   Link #96
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
So, in Senjougahara's case, some parts of her original personality never returned. It's just as Oshino had warned: Things won't go back to normal even though she got her weight/memories back. She's still missing her emotions, something she's now struggling, bit by bit, to recover.
I don't believe Senjougahara is missing her emotions. She feels sufficient concern for Araragi to
Spoiler for ep8:
She was tender
Spoiler for ep7:
She feels sufficient jealousy to
Spoiler for ep6:
She even goes so far as to
Spoiler for ep5:

If anything I'd say she's lost the knack for expressing emotions, at least in socially acceptable ways. Or possibly even enjoys her unconventional way of interacting with the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'm tempted to think of all these oddities, and their effects, as allusions to adolescence and growing up. Strip them away, and what we get is in fact a straightforward otaku-based story that involves themes familiar to most teenagers. The way we were before we became adults, the sometimes painful angst we went through, and the end result of that growing up process — that has all been expressed here through clever wordplay.
*Nod, nod* Once again I think you've got this series pegged. As another one of my friends has observed, this is one of the few anime stories where it is absolutely essential that the characters be teenagers. It's not just about the sailor uniforms, it's about the character development. Come to think of it, it even justifies Hachikuji as more than token loli - it'd have less impact if a story about parental independence/loss of home with teens.