View Single Post
Old 2009-12-02, 14:42   Link #78
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I should say that Shuffle is a rather old game now (even though it was recently re-released with added content), and the sort of brief, barely-scratch-the-surface, tunnel vision plot problems are pretty major signs of the times. I would say that, in the time since, there has been a marked trend in the industry (at least the story-oriented part of it) towards more in-depth storytelling, better cast interactions, and better integrating the premise into the rest of the story. Some of the games I've played from this year, for example, have done exceptionally well in that regard. So I think the writing overall is "growing up" a bit along with the industry. It's probably also evolving with people's expectations.

I should also say that some of this is, in fact, about the specific writer as well. I've noticed this same writing style/trend in all his works: lots of interesting ideas that get marred by rushed execution. In fact, I've played games where he is part of a larger writing team, and it's gotten to the point where I can pretty much recognize the parts of the story that he wrote because the style and pacing is so distinct. Obviously he keeps getting work because he does have good ideas, but it's almost as if he should just be the "idea man" and let other people actually do the plot development based on it.

So yeah, anyway, I think the reason Shuffle has remained relatively popular is because people loved the characters and the concepts, and there's a lot that can be done with it. But I do agree that it feels like it hasn't been really used to its potential at this point, and so probably never will be (at least in any official capacity). (Though I should say, the manga was rather fun in its own way.)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote