View Single Post
Old 2004-10-16, 08:22   Link #14
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD
TV is sure the best post-processing method: even the blockiest videos look perfect. Isn't it because of the poor definition of tv screens vs monitors and their high contrast?
SDTVs are just blury, and yes the contrast is never as good. Also, you normally sit MUCH futher back from a TV than from a monitor (my eyes are pretty bad at that distance, so even with glasses on, I'm pretty bad at spoting fine blocking which I'd see on the TV at 12 inchs, heh). I'm usually around 8-12"s from my monitor, but a good 10-12 foot from my TV. Nicely, my SD TV is still fairly sharp, so I wouldn't even say it blurs out much fine detail: maybe as much FFDShow's postprocessing with far improved noise reduction :P
Also, I can run a LancZos up to 720x540 with the Sharpen filters on a little, which doesn't really increase artifacts (since the TV is bluring them all out), and gives me a nice boost in sharpness.
This is one of the reasons I have NO interest in a HDTV - shitty quality fansubs just look too good on my old-ass SDTV :P

For everyone's information, an SDTV is:
Anti Blocking
Anti Pastelling
Can make the worse of encoding look almost like prestine DVD (well, sort of).
I've been shocked at times when switching over to the ol' monitor and looking at the crap I've been watching on my TV, that I thought looked very l33t.
Heh, that's why I DO get pissed off when I see blocking or pastelling on my TV - the TV compensates for it so much, it has to be VERY bad for me to be able to see it :P

Quote:
And I don't think fansubbers should care that much about the filesize.
Heh, there IS a topic on this - look for the closed topic, haha.

And my argument is merly: it's 10 megs! Yes, that's a decent bit of video bitrate, but far from the end of the world. It's 10 megs for gold insted of bronze!
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote