View Single Post
Old 2007-03-24, 11:10   Link #80
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

About the Ayu arc... I think a good way to put it is with comparisons to Air.

In Air, the first couple of episodes were spent on introductions and getting to like the characters. The next two episodes focused on Kano, though it did come a bit too quickly. Then we get Minagi/Michiru's story for another two episodes, during which Misuzu's state begins to show and develop. After that, it's six episodes of full-swing Misuzu (including the Summer arc - that's just as important).

Contrast this to Kanon. It takes two episodes before Makoto's even introduced. I actually liked the pacing at that point, but over the next 4-5 episodes it just slowed to a crawl. Makoto's arc spanned 3 and a half episodes, which helped give it a full impact, but it could have worked with just two episodes to be honest. Mai's spanned 5 episodes, even better. Shiori's was another 3, but imho it was one episode too long. This meant they only had 6 episodes to tell everything left, from her past, to Nayuki's story, and even Ayu waking up.

They just ran out of episodes to be honest. Had they cut down on the introductory episodes, and actually mixed the characters' development into other arcs (whilst not nearing their climax, of course), it would work a lot better. Something like this, perhaps:

Spoiler for Kanon all episodes:
The point is that Misuzu's arc got more than half of Air dedicated to it, whereas Ayu's got less time than Mai's (if you exclude Nayuki and Sayuri's stories, respectively). It really was rushed, no matter how you look at it.

Ooh yes, that reminds me. Thanks to Eclipse, SS, TWH, and Sprocket Hole for your super-fast, but still awesome, subs! Really, having two consistently high-quality 24 hour releases (and another that's usually out within a few days) is just somewhat of a godsend. You guys are awesome, and I only hope we'll get the same dedication for Clannad. <3

Last edited by Sai the Dreamer; 2007-03-24 at 11:21.
Sai the Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote