View Single Post
Old 2006-08-05, 18:20   Link #38
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs
Actually, why don't the HD formats rather use plain 24.000 fps (aka. FILM) instead? That makes way more sense than 23.976, 29.970 or 25.000. And progressive. Interlacing sucks.

Obviously, the animators don't want to animate for 30 fps, they prefer 24 fps, because they need less frames that way (even if they only animate every second or third.) But CG people and people compositing the stuff want 30 fps, because it's not really more work and looks better. So the result becomes a mish-mash of different framerates, and the 24 (actually 23.976) fps stuff has to be telecined.
Now imagine if HD was 24.000 fps progressive. None of the problems. All compatibility. It's not like any modern TV sets (or computer monitors) are limited by the AC frequency anyway, so why keep the 25/30 fps differences?

Uh, sorry for slightly off-topic rant.
The WMV-HD movies avaliable are actually 24fps (yes, 24.00). Then again, it's, you know, WMV.

Also sports/live video stuff doesn't look good at 23.978. You really need 29.97/59.94 for fluid motion. Same deal with PAL land (the football on BBC HD, for example, would have been unwatchable at 25fps (yes, I tried re-encoding without bobbing, and it looked like ass, 50 was way better).

I do wish the world would move on, though... VFR can be a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura
Does anyone use the Windows Movie maker to fansub, if that's possible at all?
No. I seriously hope no one ever has, anyway.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote