View Single Post
Old 2011-11-29, 18:45   Link #1245
Nixl

Firstly, I want to thank everyone for the replies. Secondly, how are the mods coming to anyone's knowledge? I know Morrowind had an avid Mod following, which added some neat features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
You can get it for $45 though if you buy it online. Can't say much about Morrowind since I haven't played but hmm.. Hidden loot? Not really in Skyrim, everything is in obvious places and there's a grand chest in end of each dungeon that contains junk. When I say junk, I mean it because you can make better stuff yourself and also because money is almost useless in this game par buying a house and buying skill levels around lvl50 or higher.
Never played Morrowind!?!

I joke of course, but it is indeed an amazing game and its take on metaphysics and the politics of a savior are quite intriguing. That and, the map is gigantic and riddled with secrets and treasure to plunder. Furthermore, I would say that compared to other fantasy RPGs that typically put you in Medieval Europe, Morrowind brings the atmosphere of an almost alien landscape. Definitely a classic I would suggest alongside Planescape Torment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post

@Nixl: i still think Morrowind is more unique in term of quests, explorations. As in here most quests can be done at specific sites, and you rarely counter a quest giving by NPCs on the way to some locations (onyl found 1 so far, the guy that gives you Ebony gloves +30% 2 hand, then some other guy supported to get it back, but he was smashed by giants before i can finish the dialogues). They have quite some puzzles in ruins to solve through, quite easy most of the case. And the journal book with quest marking helps a lot ( i think the journal was not this good in Morrowind)
I did not now about the puzzles, but from what you say it a bit more directed and focused compared to Morrowind in terms of quests. Not a bad thing, but a small difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
You can play the same character on Skyrim forever. Skyrim has a procedural quest generation system. The various guilds and merchants and I think even random people in town will keep giving you quests (the quests are all simple, ala "steal item x" or "modify ledger at shop/inn y"). Most if not all dungeons also repopulate with monsters and loot, and the dungeons all look unique and beautiful unlike Oblivion/Morrowind which recycled the interiors much more. There are still some recycled interiors here and there but it's not as apparent. All the Daedric shrine quests are there as you'd expect, and all the books (including a ton of new books, too). Even if you discount the procedural quests, there are many quests to do, ranging from "deliver this letter for me" to "take part in this civil war". There are many shouts to unlock, and each shout has three words that you need to track down. Dragons keep spawning forever, too, even after you finish the main quest. So there really is a lot to do; I don't think you'll have problems with replayability.

@Dist about half the books I found were lore, stuff like the Wolf Queen or Barenziah or History of the Empire or Dwemer stuff or books about Daedra or religious topics.
Does it have any great house type factions like Morrowind? I know there are civil war factions and guilds, but aside from that any others?

I almost want to boot up my Telvanni sorcerer up right now.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote