View Single Post
Old 2010-06-19, 23:44   Link #3867
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Ledgem, you're extrapolating everything. There's no such thing as hard or mandatory tutoring. There's good teachers, bad teachers, good subjects, bad subjects. And the push you speak of is everywhere these days. You don't really believe students of medicine follow this loafing strategy you describe as well, do you? There are quite a few other topics I could say the same. And whoever told you what you know most likely hasn't experienced anything more then one, so lets not generalize so much.
No, I'm not extrapolating anything. And of course it's a generalization - we're discussing two cultures at large, aren't we? Is it possible to avoid making generalizations under such a broad scope? Am I a bad person for assuming that people wouldn't realize that it's a generalization and that it isn't an absolute truth about everyone and everything? Do people believe every damn thing they read on the internet without thinking?

I never said that the tutoring was mandatory. The point is that there, the schools you go to in Japan are much more critical than here in America, and as such there's a lot of pressure on people to do well on the various exams (particularly entrance exams) to get them into those schools. Hence, going to tutoring after school is an effort to give an advantage and remain competitive against those who are going to tutoring. Oh, I guess it's an extrapolation to claim that a part-time job would be frowned upon because it takes time away from possible studies, but that's my trying to reason out how the original question came to be. After all, I'd never heard that it was frowned upon, myself, but I take it that the question was raised because this was something that was observed.

I took a few years of Japanese, and heard what I shared from multiple Japanese teachers. Those were people who were born and raised in Japan. But you know what? Since people are neg-rep happy and enjoy being argumentive even though I'm just trying to share what little shred of knowledge I have to someone who was seemingly interested in the topic, maybe I should include a disclaimer here that it isn't an absolute truth about every single person in Japan and that the differences are things I've noted on my own, so think about my words but don't just accept them as the explanation for everything.

Thanks.