View Single Post
Old 2009-04-16, 08:34   Link #25
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Literacy, means that the person is taught not just to read and write, but think objectively as well as subjectively for both himself and others. N.K removed the last one to keep control over their people.
Actually, i don't think the North Korean goverment can do that much, you overestimated their ability. More likely the difference in culture ( i do not say clothes, building and such... but how they think and act) are different with "almost" the rest of the world. Think why they worship their leader when we worship our idols instead?

Well i do not live in North Korea so what i say maybe pointless. But everytime i see Western world try to prove a group of people brainwashed, they always skip lots of detail and try to simplify the problem ( ask around and you can see how many people really believe Muslism terrorists go suicide so they can get those virgins....)

Quote:
Just in case you don't know, I find that the education system in Asia is more focused on feeding pure information and facts rather than teaching the students how to think, derive and understand. I was given detention for arguing against determinism (statistics) in Maths class in middle school. My phrase of "everything can be determined, if the human race has the ACTUAL capacity to do so" earned me that stay-back-after-school and alot of shit from my classmates. And most of the students just study for the sake for passing in exams and getting into university.

If everyone just want to learn and nobody wants to understand, just for the sake of personal pride/glory/gain, nor abuse knowledge in a way which could benefit in a form of discoveries or breakthroughs, what is the point of education?

I digress with my idealism of education. Returning to the point of Kimmy and the nukes, I think it would be even worse if Kim dies. A civil war might erupt and spill over to South Korea, and the machine guns at the DMZ aren't enough to mow down a 1.6 mil strong army.
You have an interesting way of evaluate Asian education. But then it really is out of topic